Simple pleasures can provide some of life’s most enjoyable moments, and spending a great deal of money is not a prerequisite to having a wonderful time. As autumn rolls in and the glorious colors begin to emerge, how about fueling up and taking a good old fashioned ride throughout the countryside. Heck knows ourLehighCountyhas over 300 square miles to wind through and explore. Maybe pack a picnic lunch and as you journey around hit one of the lovely parks in our area for a sojourn. Fun Recipes abound online and here’s a great one I found in Southern Living for a Giant Ham and Pepper Salad Sandwich that can definitely satisfy a few people. Sounds delish!
Bring your walking shoes and stroll about. Of course you will want to have your camera along to document the beauty that is autumn. Picturesque roadside visuals present themselves one after the other. Here are a few area visuals I’ve documented while traveling from here to there. I find the scenes varying on any given day and often I am pulling over to make a photograph of the magnificent local scenery. If you are like me you’ll want to make sure your four-way hazard lights are working!
So seize the day, ready the snacks, jump in the car and off you go enjoying the landscape!
See below for links that list information about area parks you can map out and visit for a day trip
Giant Ham and Pepper Salad Sandwich Recipe
- 1 (16-ounce) round Italian bread loaf
- 3 tablespoons honey mustard
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 pound deli ham, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pickled sliced banana peppers, drained
- 1 (6-ounce) package Swiss cheese slices
- 4 (1-ounce) American cheese slices
- Tomato slices
- Lettuce leaves
- Cut off top one-third of bread loaf, and spread cut side of top with honey mustard; set aside.
- Scoop out soft center of remaining bread, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell. (Reserve soft center of loaf for other uses, if desired.)
- Stir together onions, cream cheese, and mayonnaise; spread in bottom of bread shell. Layer with ham, peppers, and cheeses; cover with bread top, honey mustard side down. Wrap in aluminum foil or a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Place tomato and lettuce in zip-top plastic bags. Surround with ice packs for transport to picnic.
- Unwrap whole sandwich, add lettuce and tomato slices, and cut into 4 wedges. Serve on heavy paper towels or parchment paper.
Love the fall leaves photos! Makes me miss home 🙂 and the recipe sounds delicious — I should pack and take to Duluth this weekend!
And today Autumn is the perfect day for a drive as the colors are really beginning to present themselves. Indeed, it is Autumn!
Lovely autumn photos! They are the inspiration for getting outside today to enjoy this sunny, beautiful day and to take some photos after raking up leaves!
You captured the beauty of autumn in these pictures! Makes me want to grab the dog and camera and take a long leisure drive! Inspired!!