PEEPS® Chick Drop and More Family Fun Than Ever Heighten Excitement of PEEPSFEST™
Live penguins, loveable sled dogs and more free family fun than ever will fill the fifth anniversary celebration of PEEPSFEST™, the action-packed family festival at SteelStacks in Bethlehem. This year’s event, set for Dec. 30th and 31st, will feature programming at four SteelStacks locations – the ArtsQuest Center, Levitt Pavilion, Visitor Center and PBS39 Public Media and Education Center – making it the largest celebration in the festival’s history.
“This year’s PEEPSFEST™ is shaping up to be the best one yet as the 60th anniversary of the PEEPS® Brand comes to a close in 2013,” said Matt Pye, Vice President of Corporate Affairs at Just Born. “We have many new activities planned where families can express their PEEPSONALITY® over two days and then ring in the New Year with the PEEPS® chick drop.”
PEEPSFEST™, which is free to attend, offers families two days packed with live music, arts and PEEPS®-related programming, culminating on Dec. 31st at 5:15 p.m. with the dropping of a 4.5-foot tall, 85-pound, lit PEEPS® Chick and fireworks to welcome in the New Year. The popular PEEPS® Diorama Competition featuring more than 100 dioramas created by area school children will be held this year at the PBS39 Public Media and Education Center where all of the dioramas submitted will be on display. The PEEPS® Diorama Competition winners will be announced Dec. 30th at 3 p.m., with the grand-prize winner invited to help drop the PEEPS® Chick on New Year’s Eve.
Among the many new attractions for 2013 are PBS39 TV Studio Tours, a life size Coca-Cola® Ski Chalet made out of 12 packs with a PEEPified Roof, Lehigh Valley Zoo animals including African Penguins, Dutch Springs’ dog sled team, Allentown Symphony Hall’s instrument instruction and other crafts and activities provided by many different nonprofit groups.
Other PEEPSFEST™ Highlights Include:
– New Year’s Eve Party with live music by kid-friendly rock band Starfish at the Levitt Pavilion SteelStacks Dec. 31st, 4 p.m. (FREE)
– Family musicians and children’s performers all day at the ArtsQuest Center (FREE)
– PEEPS®-themed arts and crafts, video game competitions, expanded PEEPS® scavenger hunt and other fun activities (FREE)
– Hula Hoop Contest – New for 2013 (FREE)
– Coca-Cola® Polar Bear made entirely out of PEEPS® – New for 2013
– SteelStacks’ blast furnaces illuminated with yellow lights – New for 2013
– Picture taking with PEEPS® Chick, Elmo, TeleBear, Coca-Cola Polar Bear and other mascots – New for 2013 (FREE)
– Family Disco Lounge – featuring Rolie Polie Guacamole (Dec. 30th) and We Kids Rock (Dec. 31st), as well as a family-friendly DJ, bounce house, balloon art and more ($5 for ages 17 and under; free for adults)
– PEEPSFEST™ 5K and Kids Fun Run Dec. 31st (registration fee required)
– Mascot Dash, featuring popular area mascots, Dec. 31st, noon
– PEEPSMOBILE® and PEEPS® Ice Sculpture on the town square
– PEEPS® s’mores for sale to roast on outdoor fire pits
– Popular PEEPS & Company® store items for sale
PEEPSFEST™ is presented by Just Born Quality Confections and ArtsQuest. Festival hours are Dec. 30th, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., and Dec. 31st, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Admission is free, although a few select activities, such as the family disco lounge, kids’ fun run and PEEPSFEST™ 5K, require an admission ticket.
For more information and tickets to the family disco lounge, 5K and fun run, please visit www.artsquest.org/peepsfest or call 610-332-3378.