Easton’s annual Holiday Open House & Peace Candle Lighting event will be held on Saturday, November 26th from 11am-7pm. Visitors can enjoy the sights and sounds of the season with live music, old-fashion carriage rides, strolling street performers, photos with Santa, kids’ activities, ice carvers, and more treats to delight the whole family. The event will kick off the holiday shopping season with Downtown Easton’s selection of unique boutiques and specialty stores. A full day of merriment culminates in the grand lighting of Easton’s Peace Candle. Free metered parking will be available all day in Downtown.
Along with past crowd favorites like Photos with Santa and Old-fashion Carriage Rides, EMSI is very excited to announce new additions and added attractions to this year’s event, including:
- Breakfast with Santa at the Bank Street Annex, two seating times, tickets available for advance purchase only
- Star in your own coloring page outside the Crayola Experience
- Arts Community of Easton Holiday Market at the Grand Eastonian Suites & Hotel
- Ginormous Inflatable Snow Globe with photo op on South Third Street
- Hourly Science on a Sphere shows and “Small Wonders: Cash & Carry Art Show” at Nurture Nature Center
- Gingerbread House Contest at the Third Street Alliance, details and entry forms on their website
- Excerpts from The Nutcracker, performed by students from Pennsylvania Classical Ballet at the Easton Hospital Gallery adjacent to the State Theatre, two performances, free and open to the public
- Mooseltoe: A New Moosical at the State Theatre, tickets available online
- Cookies with Mrs. Claus at the Easton Public Market
- Lighting of the First Christmas Tree with Mayor Panto immediately following the Peace Candle Lighting
Additional children’s activities will be highlighted in the 200 block of North Third Street beginning at 12Noon and running until 6:30pm. Activities include: petting zoo, moonbounce, face painting, trackless train rides, pony rides, and a continuous showing of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” on an outdoor movie screen.
The day coincides with Small Business Saturday, a national movement that has taken place over the last six years, to support small businesses. Many Downtown merchants will be participating in the day and offering sales, specials, and refreshments. Stop by for free Shop Small swag at participating merchants or visit the Retail Concierge Tent in Centre Square for directions to shops.
The official lighting of the Peace Candle will begin at 6:30pm. The Official Illuminator position is currently being auctioned off to the highest bidder on ebay: https://goo.gl/nozhE0. Bidding will end on Wednesday, November 23th at 10:00am. Proceeds from the sale will benefit the day’s event. Immediately following the Peace Candle lighting, Mayor Panto will lead a procession down to Scott Park, to the First Christmas Tree, for a tree lighting ceremony.
Easton’s Peace Candle has been an area tradition since 1951. The largest non-wax candle in the country, and second in the world, the Peace Candle serves as a symbol of peace for all religions and denominations.
A full list of event activities and times is available at: http://www.eastonmainstreet.org/peacecandlelighting.